Descriptive Reflection - Formal Introductory Letter

 Subject: Self-introduction letter 


Dear Professor Blackstone, 


I am writing to introduce myself to you formally. I am Shirlyn Ong, a year one civil engineering student at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT), currently enrolled in your critical thinking and communicating module.

I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a civil engineering diploma in 2023. My interest in the civil engineering field sparked ever since I was young. My father, a civil engineer, often introduced and explained many of his structural drawings to me. Ever since then, I constantly questioned how skyscrapers and bridges were built. Thus, it motivated me to pursue my studies further in this course. 

I would consider my communication strength to be empathic. I would often put myself in others’ shoes and understand their perspective before giving a reply; this includes being aware and acknowledging the other person’s emotions and feelings. However, one communication weakness I have would be presenting in front of large groups. I would often feel nervous and tense up, and as a result, it would lead to me finding it challenging to organize my thoughts and structure my sentences. However, I believe by the end of this module, I will have had sufficient practice and will become more comfortable with giving presentations. 

My goals for this module would be to be more comfortable giving presentations to large groups and improve my writing skills, especially my grammar. 

What might differentiate me from others is that I truly believe in practicing gratitude daily. It is a personal value that I live by that helps me improve myself and my interpersonal relationships with others.

I look forward to working with you to achieve my goals for this module in time to come. Thank you for your time.


Best regards, 

Shirlyn Ong 

Comments


  1. Hello Shirlyn, your letter clearly introduces yourself and outlines your aspirations for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shirlyn, your letter is simple and concise which makes it easy to read and understand for readers. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shirlyn, I believe with more practice you will definitely be more comfortable giving presentations to large groups, you got this !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shirlyn, your introduction letter is well-written and engaging, effectively conveying your passion for civil engineering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Shirlyn,

    Thank you for this fluent, well developed and informative letter. In it you address the key areas of the assignment, doing so with clear language use and depth of illustration. I like the way you provide a description of your evolving interest in CVE and how your dad impacted you. You also explain in detail your comm skills, including the issue you have in oral presenting, an area we will address.

    I'm especially impressed by your sense of 'gratitude' and how that needs practiced every day. (Is that due to a religious conviction or simply a life skills that you learned? How did this evolve?)

    Language wise this is an excellent effort.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 : The importance of communication skills for engineers